Monday, October 28, 2013

CREAM OF ZUCCHINI SOUP


Finally making soup! Found this recipe and doctored it up a bit.  Easy and good flavor, nothing fancy--even better the second and third day.  Side note: Boy, do I love my Staub pumpkin pot.  It sits atop my stove from late September through November looking so pretty and autumnal (love that word).

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil or both (I used both)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 chopped zucchini squash
2 cups chicken stock/broth
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup half and half cream
Shredded Cheddar cheese to top (optional)

Sauté chopped onion in butter/olive oil until soft and transparent.  Add chopped zucchini and sauté for 5 minutes.  Add chicken broth and bring to boil; simmer for 15 minutes until zucchini is tender.  Add seasonings.  Puree mixture until smooth (do it in batches if hot) and return to saucepan.  Add half and half cream adjusting seasonings to taste (I added a smidgen more of pepper and nutmeg).  Reheat but do not boil.  Optional:  add shredded Cheddar cheese to top individual bowls.  (I did not add the cheese but I'm sure it is delicious.)




6 comments:

  1. The soup looks good but you make it look even yummier in that cute pumpkin. You always do things with such flair! Yea for fall and cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest pan!!! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like just the thing for these cool October days.

    I'm glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita: You are so nice. And I am loving having the windows open at home.

    Haley: Thanks--the pot weighs a ton but it is gorgeous.

    Mary: Thanks for stopping by. We need this cool weather and your second comment made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing - perfect on a chilly November day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Homemaker UK: Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete